Reformation punk is lyrically inspired by the Bible and the Protestant Reformation. Drawing musical Influences from 1980’s English and Swedish D-beat, as well as 1980’s New York and Boston Hardcore punk.
When most people hear the words “Reformation or Reformed” they automatically think of Calvinism. Reformation punk recognizes that not just Calvinism, but Lutheranism as well as Arminianism Soteriology (the doctrine of Salvation) all have their roots in the Protestant Reformation. Reformation punk DOES NOT promote one of these beliefs over the other, but rather promotes the five Solas of the Protestant Reformation.
The five points of Reformation punk:
1. The Great Commission: And Jesus came and said to them, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.” Matthew 28:18-20
2. The five Solas of the Protestant Reformation:
- Faith Alone – Sola Fide
- Scripture Alone – Sola Scriptura
- Christ Alone – Solus Christus
- Grace Alone – Sola Gratia
- Glory to God Alone – Soli Deo Gloria
3. Remnant theology: (aka: Commonwealth/Olive Tree/Expansion theology) rejects the idea that God is done with the Jewish people and has replaced them with Gentile Christians. While maintaining that their is only one way of salvation for both Jews and Gentiles, through Jesus the Messiah. All Israel will be saved! Romans 11, Ephesians 2:11-22, Jeremiah 31:31-34
4. No popery: This is NOT about pope or Catholic bashing, nor does Reformation punk support such. It is the belief that there is only one head of the Church and only one mediator between God and man, Jesus the Messiah. “For there is one God, and there is one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus…” 1 Timothy 2:5
Article from C. H. Spurgeon’s (1834-1892), The Sword and the Trowel, Published Monthly 1868
“The inmost soul of Protestantism is the responsibility of the conscience to God alone, the spiritual nature of true religion, and the freedom of faith from the rule of earthly lords. State-churchism is antichristian, and always ripens into oppression and tyranny wherever opportunity is given it. “NO POPERY” is our cry, and therefore laying the ax at the root of the system, we demand the abolition of every union between church and state, and the disallowance of every form of interference on the part of Caesar with things which belong alone to God.”
5. Semper Reformanda: Latin for “the church is always to be reformed.” The church must continually re-examine herself in order to keep her doctrines and theology in accordance with the Holy Scriptures. The Reformation that began nearly 500 years ago is not over!